Emergency Contact Numbers

These numbers should only be used in an emergency, in the event the problem is not deemed an emergency or where the fault is as a result of damage of something that is not the responsibility of your landlord, you may incur a charge for any callout. Before calling an emergency contractor, please check any manuals you’ve been supplied with.

Lost keys or keys locked inside

Please note – The tenant is responsible for all costs associated with calling a locksmith if keys have been lost or locked inside.

Sas Locksmith


Please call your Property Manager directly on the numbers as listed below:

For burst water pipes within the Property contact Benger Plumbing and Gas
For no water supply contact Water Corporation


Damage to power lines/loss of electricity: Contact Western Power

Other severe electrical problems within the property, contact the following provider:

Lumos Electrical – Jono

Break in and Damage to glass

Contact the Police and obtain a police report number on 13 14 44 (this is required for insurance claims).

Impact to Building by Vehicle/Severe Storm Damage to Property

In any of these circumstances your action will depend on the severity of the problem.

If severe injury to you or other persons, call an Ambulance and the Police
If required, call State Emergency Services (SES)

Repairs during normal business hours

Please call your Property Manager directly on the numbers as listed below:

Cassandra Mason – Head of Property Management
Andrew Wood – Senior Property Manager
Kate McDonald – Property Manager

Other Contacts

Josh Roberts – Licensee/Director